Age: Marriages of minors under eighteen years of age is prohibited. If either applicant is under 18 years of age, a marriage license cannot be issued. More information can be found at the NYS Dept of Health website: https://www.health.ny.gov/publications/4210/.
Proof of Age
Two forms of ID are required, each showing date of birth. This office requires a Certified Copy of Birth Certificate and one other form. The following are acceptable documents to support information submitted by marriage license applicants:
- Driver's License
- Non-Driver's License
- Naturalization Papers
- Military ID Card
- Employer's Photo ID (must have birth date)
- Baptismal or other Church Record established by one year of age.
For previous marriages, the following is required:
- Certified Copy of Death Certificate if last marriage ended in death
- Certified Copy of Divorce Decree or Certificate of Dissolution of Marriage for any or all marriage(s) ended in divorce.
License Fee and Requirements
- 24 hour waiting period
- License is valid for 60 days beginning the day after it is issued
- Any and all divorce decrees or certificates of dissolution of previous marriages are necessary
- $40 license fee
- $10 certified copy of license
These requirements are per the New York State Department of Health, Vital Records Section.